Thursday 20 January 2022

Iwona Chmielewska VII

 


Above: As the flax matures...My grandmother Hulda, her sisters and brothers. 

Illustrations by Iwona Chmielewska from the book Lullaby for Grandmother, published by South Korea's BIR, which was the Bologna Ragazzi Award winner in the category of New Horizons 2020, tells a story of female textile workers from the city of Łódź. It is presented as a catalogue of fabrics from old textile factories. For this book Iwona Chmielewska has incorporated vintage fabrics and the handicraft of women who are no longer with us. Doilies, embroidered handkerchiefs - not in use anymore, passed on, discarded these scraps of incredibly skilled hand craft tell us about life and fill us with memories.



Above: Thread factory







2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am thrilled by the beauty of these images! Where could I BUY this book?? Thank you very much!! I you could help me I would be very thankful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get Iwona Chmielewska's books from most book depositories X

      Delete