Saturday 13 October 2012

Result of Donald Baechler inspired classes




A month ago I featured work by Donald Baechler
Sometimes when I put artist/illustrators on 'theartroom' I then go to the real art room and share it with my students as inspiration. 
These students have drawn the art room plants and drawn profiles to interpret in the style of Donald Baechler. 
Once drawn they were cut out of cardboard. We then used newsprint that I mixed with hot water and blended to a pulp, to apply to the card. The newsprint pulp is quite strong and when it drys it looks like egg boxes. you can apply it to chicken wire for bigger shapes/ sculptures.
It is a very wet process but after a week they are dry and you can paint them. We incorporated narrow strips of wood and then stood the sculptures up by embedding them into wooden bases.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the look of these. We must try using your pulp technique with our next chicken wire project - which probably won't be until the good weather comes back, it sounds quite messy so I think we'll do it outside. Our last experimental chicken wire project was for our garden - we're going to see if it disintegrates over the winter! http://thesockgarden.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/recycled-garden-sculpture-part-1/

    ReplyDelete