Thursday 10 May 2012

The Papercuts of Hans Christian Andersen I



I was amazed to find paper cuts and leaf cuts by Hans Christian Andersen today. I know that paper cutting is an ancient art in Mexico and China and has had a great surge in popularity in the last decade, but I was fascinated to see it practised in history by this author and storyteller. 
Apparent;y Hans Christian Andersen produced these paper cuts for his audience whilst telling his stories, his listeners being so impressed that they never forgot his cuttings or stories for the rest of their lives.
"He always cut with an enormous pair of scissors. It was a mystery to me how he could cut out such dainty, delicate things with his big hands and those enormous scissors" Baroness Bodild von Donner. (thank you)

1 comment:

  1. again you are a marvel for winkling out gems... I had no idea about these paper cuts. thank you for the links.

    ReplyDelete