Saturday 30 January 2010

Sally Matthews





The sculpture of Sally Matthews, who has a fantastic capability to render animal forms from a vast variety of materials.
"Everyone has their own reasons for using animals in art, but for me I always go back to the animals themselves for inspiration. My love of them, their different form, movement, smell and nature are the reasons for my making them. Their nature, even of a domesticated or trained animal is unpredictable and wild, their presence is always enlivening. I want my work to remind people of our need for animals and the example their nature provides us with." Sally Matthews
Sally initially creates a metal armature (the equivalent of a line drawing and then she builds up the substance of the figure using materials that she feels represent the animal by it coire fibre, cow muck, steel, copper or wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment