'The Wise Man on the Mountain', by Dillon, Eilis (1909), illustrated by Gaynor Chapman published in 1969. This is a version of what I know as 'a squash and a squeeze', where someone is not happy with their little house and a 'wise' person gets them to fill it usually with their animals and then have the relief of taking them out again. I assume that this is an ancient tale but have no idea of it's origin. In this version Simon and Katie have ten children and are finding life very hard and Simon seeks advice from a wise man who lives at the top of the mountain.
Gaynor Chapman's illustrations are as ever wonderfully proportioned and have a solidity in this, the colour sings from the pages and the design is gorgeous.
I really like the creasy effect that is on the larger areas of colour and the clothing.





















No comments:
Post a Comment