Friday 5 May 2023

Protest! Hazel Terry

 

Today I am hanging my first public exhibition for 23 years. 

It is going to be in a cafe, previously I hung in cinemas as I felt it would reach more people and a wider demographic than galleries in this country.  

So if you are anywhere near Hug in Skirving St Glasgow over the next three months please pop in say hello and see my rolling 'Protest' exhibition.


These works are collaged three times they are digitally collaged, then street collaged and then finally collaged onto bill board advertisement maché. They can go from tiny little card prints into massive collaged images. 

This weeks work was; '200 children', I have been sitting on this for a while. The UK government has 'lost' 200 children from its care in refugee centres. I am beyond disgusted at its lack of care and the lack of attention and scrutiny that this disaster has had. These street collages were taken inside and outside a derelict primary school. I matched the dereliction of duty of the UK government to minors in its care.


This week a bill was passed to make peaceful protest illegal in Britain. We are unable to protest and voting endlessly corrupted through boundary changes, and limited to a two party system, is now impossible if you don't have ID such as  passports, drivers licences  which are expensive and not accessible to everyone you can no longer vote.  So I protest and I protest some more but I protest through tiny people current and historical joining imaginary arms to demonstrate against the continued corrupt madness that we suffer in this horrific undemocratic country at a time of world melt down. 



Unfortunately I don't think I am going to run out of material and so this rolling exhibition will evolve over the summer. 

1 comment: