Monday 13 June 2022

Carla Smith

 



To share a meal, gathered around the table in my country is increasingly rare and so Carla Smith's degree show at Gray's School of Art was tender and subtly momentous.

“My art practice revolves around the ways we understand the world. I work across a multitude of processes to explore how our experiences shape what we believe.

"For my degree project, my work focuses on the act of having a meal. ‘The meal’ explores this as a moment for connection and communication. Stemming from my childhood, where all social gatherings were centred around food, I grew up making sense of the world in this rich social environment.  I believe a meal offers a moment of connection and care, that should be nurtured." Carla Smith





"I create tender, impractical cutlery which forces the user to slow down and not take themselves too seriously, believing that play and curiosity are crucial to an enjoyment of life." 




No comments:

Post a Comment