Monday 27 September 2021

Sara Lindberg



An amazing work of incredible artistry and delicacy, "The Bird in me Flies" is an illustrated novel by Sara Lindberg about the life of Berta Hansson. The book shows the difficult childhood of a young girl whose mother is dying and the weight of domestic responsibility that falls upon this young girl as she dreams of being an artist in a time where the only outlook for most women was a housewife. I cannot recommend this book enough it is rich with the most beautiful paintings and illustrations a true homage to Berta's life and legacy. It has won the August Prize and the Snöbollen Prize. 
I am eternally thankful to the many forgotten female artists who have trodden the path before me. Those who had the guts to live an unconventional life and sacrifice so much. If they hadn’t, I wouldn’t be where I am today in my profession. Berta Hansson, not known to many, is one of these women. Sara Lindberg













No comments:

Post a Comment