Saturday 24 April 2021

To Mars and beyond.

 


I have been making work to send to #thearbroathcorrespondencschool a project run by Kirsty McKeown at Hospitalfield. This has led me to many wormholes of history in my research and chance encounters with characters who reoccur in the scarce photographs of this time, revealing incredible stories and lives.





I am trying out a new format of chain images to consolidate a collection, like old strips of postcards. It seems a natural progression as most of my work sent to this postal project has been in postcard format.

Today I will be making my Mars book (images above) which is about a penal colony for children which was established on a boat (Mars) moored on the coast off of Arbroath from 1869-1929. I am using deep red glitter watercolour, to reflect the ship's name 'Mars', for the water and also to allude to the alien environment into which these children were placed. 

Yesterday I put together a collection I had gathered featuring Mr. Andrew Beatt, who was a tobacconist in Arbroath from 1890-1939 when he retired. He was also secretary of the Arbroath Health Congress. and a champion bowler, swimmer and singer. The images gathered have come from all over so I love it when I catch a familiar face or name and can make a connection and a collection about an individual, event or specific location. 

No comments:

Post a Comment