Monday 8 July 2019

Cornelia O’Donovan II


Further work by Cornelia O’Donovan this time featuring her portrait of plants and flowers in various pots and vases. 

‘Working blind, working in the dark, sifting through sand with eyes shut, working backwards. I sometimes feel lost and feel only that I am compelled to make marks and put images down, I see colours everywhere and take them to the studio with me. they are fragments, snatched from dreams, and I am collecting them and ironing out tangles and hoarding and obsessing, then suddenly it is enough and I can’t see the way forward again. I am exhausted and have used it all up. I rest and the desire to record grows again. Once I am making it becomes a dialogue and a full interior world, complex and mesmerising, part of the world and nature. The privacy of the studio. The solitude. A process of acceptance. Looking around my immediate environment I see how a home, daily work and reputation in housework, a small arrangement of and groups of objects all contribute to painting. They all become part of you, learning through making.’ Cornelia O’Donovan





1 comment: