Sunday 9 October 2022

Jodi Hays

 

Jodi Hays up-cycles cardboard boxes into art dying and peeling the layers of consumerism away with her message of anti waste. These appeal as I have been exploring the same effects when creating my protest collages, it's great to see someone else getting messy with endless boxes.


“There is something improvisational in using materials that one finds in the periphery of a tradition, a convention, a history or a market. I also find the humility of materials deeply personal, and therefore political. Mining a ‘southern povera,’ my main habit in iconography is the grid that I ‘find’ in reclaimed textiles, fabric, and cardboard. These materials serve as stand-ins for the resourceful labor of women. I ask myself what it can mean to care for and remain attentive in life and in painting (and if these are the same thing), revealing how my core iconography elucidates a conversation on abstraction and a generative (familial, abundant) mark that is inexhaustible—like a mother.” Jodi Hays





No comments:

Post a Comment