Thursday 27 June 2019

Simon Callery


Simon Callery's collaged canvases of colour, from an exhibition called 'Flat Paintings', are canvas cut damaged and folded, painted using distemper and colour pigments. Simon originally trained as a sculptor and his work retains an aspect of sculpture, giving you forms within the canvas to explore texture and depth.
"Flat Paintings. I am suggesting that one of the defining characteristics of painting is now one of many characteristics in contemporary painting. I started these works when I took rolls of washed canvas on site to the Institute of Archaeology, University of Oxford excavations at Moel y Gaer in North Wales in 2014 – 2015. I had been looking for a way to puncture the surface of my paintings. Working directly off the material surfaces of the archaeological trenches provided me with the right opportunity. These works have internal voids and spatial relationships as significant as the flat front surface." Simon Callery





No comments:

Post a Comment