Wednesday 9 September 2015

Water




This week I am working on a project about 'water'. To start it I went back to making a Gelli Plate, as I like the unexpected effects and the removal of the dreaded 'white paper'. The only problem is when the prints are too nice and you don't want to ruin them and you are back full circle to the 'white paper' problem.
I got round this problem by scanning the prints so that I had a few copies and could make mistakes and make mistakes I did, it is a vital part of the process.
I now have two solutions, I need a total of three and I want to give myself a selection to narrow down.

Before I go to bed now I am writing a few words, thoughts, poems or a diary entry, I find it helps me to both focus and unwind at the end of the day. I mind mapped 'water' and thought of the salty ocean and of tears and then remembered the project which has found that different tears have a very different appearance under the microscope.

Photographer Rose-Lynn Fisher has been recording the Topography of tears, the different structures of tears cried for different reasons,  by examining and photographing dried tears under an electron microscope.

                    Above: Laughter Tears, Below: Onion Tears
    Below: Tears of grief.

“Tears are the medium of our most primal language in moments as unrelenting as death, as basic as hunger and as complex as a rite of passage, it’s as though each one of our tears carries a microcosm of the collective human experience, like one drop of an ocean.” Rose-Lynn Fisher

I love this, it makes me wonder at the complexity of things we take for granted, things as yet unquestioned and unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment