Saturday 26 April 2014

Joyce Cairns I



Last night thanks to Doug Cocker, I was able to be at the opening of a new gallery 'Tatha' in Newport on Tay. A wonderful venture that has given life to a beautiful old derelict building and has bought a much needed venue to Newport-on-Tay. 
I should actually say we were playing sardines on the banks of the Tay, because the gallery was so busy. 
Joyce Cairns was one of the three artists exhibiting in this inaugural show. Joyce's works are autobiographical and more and more they contain objects and talismans from her life. Her paintings have lovely scumbled surfaces, building up rich layers of colour and media.
I have known Joyce's work since I was a teenage, like John Bellany she was a major influence on me when I was younger. 

1 comment:

  1. how wonderful, i love it when art breathes life into places as only art can. Hazel as always I love visiting your posts xxx

    ReplyDelete